20 January 2010

Chimi-Chili Dogs (Oh baby.)

A word on leftover chili: Chimi-Chili Dogs. Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like...chili and a hot dog in a tortilla, fried. OH, so very fried and delicious. They used to make these at A&W, (maybe they still do, who knows?!) and I loved them. Then I figured out how easy they were to make and I ADORED them!

If you tried my chili recipe and you're  a family of less than 8, you probably found you had leftover chili. While this is not a problem in and of itself, lots of leftover chili can get boring over time. So before that ever happens, I make chimi-chili dogs instead. If I'd been especially smart, I would have posted this two days after the chili recipe, but I didn't even think of it till this holiday weekend. :(

This meal is fantastic in that you can make as many or as few as you have the ingredients for. (If there's only a few leftovers, make them for yourself when no one is looking. The rest of the family doesn't need to know you eat better than they do at lunch.) If there's enough for everyone, you can top them with sour cream, salsa and/or avocados for a full meal.

Chimi-Chili Dogs

Leftover Chili
Hot Dogs (I like Oscar Meyer Beef ones)
Tortillas
Vegetable oil


Pour enough oil into your pot to cover half a burrito, (about an inch or so) then begin heating the oil on medium.

Assemble the chilidogs burrito style. Put a tortilla down, then a hot dog on one end of the tortilla (not in the middle).  Then spoon about a 1/4 cup of the chili on top of that. Fold in the sides on the ends of the hot dogs first, then roll from the side with the hot dog to the side without. It should look like a taco bell burrito.

Once you've made a couple of the burritos, the oil should be hot. Put one or two in at a time, flap down (I use these monsters, because I'm afraid of hot oil. But if you're less of a wimp, you can use regular tongs or your hands.). After a couple of minutes they should be ready to be turned over (again with the tongs) and left for another couple minutes.

That's right! In less than 10 minutes you can delight in a crispy-on-the-outside, oozing-and-gooey-and-meaty-on-the-inside Chimi-Chili Dog! Your taste-buds will thank you ( but your waist might curse you.)

(Apparently I'm in a parenthetical mood, sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment